Monday, April 29, 2013

Stars Fall

Stars Fall, and Monsters Steal Daughters leaving Broken Hearts
Kelly Gibbons, 2013
This is just a little something that came out when I put some crayons to paper.  I have been exploring the idea of art therapy and just decided to see what would come out when I started to draw.  The words came after I looked at the picture as a whole.

I always called Kelci my star because of how I found her name.  I visited my sister in the hospital when she had her son when I was about.  I was eight months pregnant with Kelci and Michelle, and I did not know if I was having boys, girls or one of each.

I didn't have names picked out for girls get either, and there on the wall painted in a star, part of a mural painted by my childhood art teacher, was the name "Kelci".  Right then and there, I  decided if I had a girl she would be Kelci, and she would always be my little star.  Six weeks later on February 8, 1990 at 6:51 am my little shining star came bursting into the world weighing 5 pounds even and measuring 18 inches long. 

So, when I started to draw this picture with thoughts of Kelci, of course a star came out, and so did a broken heart, the words not fair (bottom right) and what look to me like a giant monster claw. 

My falling star, my broken heart, my daughter taken way too soon, the monster death.




No comments:

Post a Comment